Friday, June 5, 2009

Getting a Move On!

Brought to you by the pals at Revgals…it’s Friday Five! Time to get a move on… This one is timely for me as I will be spending my summer getting life and belongings in order so that I might go to Chile in the fall, return for two months, and then head to Rome for five months…and then return to…I know not what or where.

Changing location also means packing, so next month will be a month of clearing and sorting, deciding what comes and what gets left behind...

So with change in mind I offer you this Friday five; ( if you've never moved here's a chance to use your imagination)


1. A big move is looming, name one thing that you could not possibly part with, it must be packed ?

Easy…the picture I have had hanging in every bedroom I have ever had—and there have been plenty of different ones. My mother had it in her room when she was in college, hung it in my room as an infant, and it has been there ever since. It is this Ted DeGrazia print… but in a rectangle.




2. Name one thing that you would gladly leave behind...

PAPER! Other than old journals.

3. How do you prepare for a move

a. practically?

Pack everything that is in a drawer or cupboard first. That way, I can see all that I have left and every time something gets packed, instant visual progress. Nothing is hidden. I also save my books to pack in the middle when I need instant satisfaction... Books pack so easily!

b. spiritually/ emotionally?

I say goodbye. I thank. Sometimes I write a poem for certain friends. I spend time in my favorite spots. I also tend to frame moves as an adventure…new place, new people, more learning about and discovering aspects of God.

4. What is the first thing you look for in a new place?

Well, close to the first thing…the nearest public library and a coffee shop that feels right to me. Then begins the hunt for a parish.

5. Do you settle in easily, or does it take time for you to find your feet in a new location?

I tend to settle in fairly quickly. Home is where I am…haven’t really had the luxury of it being otherwise in my life. Or, actually, let me say this—I HAVE had the luxury of it being that way. It allows me to BE where I am more easily…and if I am not there, it feels like I am not quite touching the ground—neither where I am or where I’d perhaps rather be.

5 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

Excellent play with some really insightful comments! Thanks!

altar ego said...

"frame moving as an adventure:" those were the words I was looking for! Great play.

Bad Alice said...

Number 4 is one of the first things I look into as well. Libraries are very important to me. Too bad they don't connect coffee shops to them.

Jan said...

I love the idea that you sometimes write a poem for a friend you are leaving.

Libraries are so wonderful.

Kimberly said...

Thank you, all, for stopping by and commenting! Today I will head to school and begin "moving" out of that space too.

So much is shifting around beneath me. Thank you for helping me stay grounded here!