Friday, April 28, 2017

Divine Gravity


In one way, this began yesterday with a walk in the rain and an RSCJ sister (who blogs here) who wrote in praise of ordinary happiness.  In another way, it begins when I listen to the news every day, so little of it good, so much of it a picture of potential or actual devastation on a scale that makes me shudder.  And yet...and yet...I know there is more, something foundational, that is also real... I know...I believe... I find that I must.




Divine Gravity

Amidst the grey and the grim,
when the luminous theorems of physics
with their lenses and prisms and mirrors
bending light into beautiful
melt into the dampness and certainty wavers,
hold fast to the promise of divine gravity
that grounds us in the hope,
the in-breaking salvation,
of elemental joy.

When forsythia blooms her symphony;
The perfection of a plum’s design;
The unforgotten possibility of flight
at the height of the arc of a swing.

Kimberly M. King, RSCJ





No comments: